Ham is pork from a leg cut that has been preserved by wet or dry curing, with or without smoking. As processed meat, the term “ham” includes both whole cuts of meat and ones that have been mechanically formed.
Do you wish to learn how to prepare cured ham, brie cheese, and caramelized onion pastry? You are in the right place. Coca (pastry) is a popular snack in Catalan homes. Now you can delight the whole family by preparing an original pastry with a blend of traditional flavors.
What does it mean when ham is cured?
Curing, at its very root, is the method of preserving meat through the use of acid, salt, and sugar. This preservation process works to remove excess water from the meat and prevent it from spoiling.
What is the difference between cured ham and regular ham?
Usually, the color of a cured ham is a deep rose color or pink. A fresh ham (one that has not been cured) will have a pale pink or beige color similar in color to a fresh pork roast. Country ham and prosciutto (both are dry-cured) range in color from pink to a mahogany color. Hams can be ready-to-eat or not.
- 6 slices of Norfrisa cured ham.
- Refrigerated pizza dough
- 100 gr of brie cheese
- 1 red onion, a pinch of brown sugar, olive oil, and salt.
- Rocket and basil leave Olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Step by step:
- Cut the pizza dough into individual portions. Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Place the pastries on a baking tray, spread the brie over them, and bake them until they turn golden brown.
- In the meantime, we will caramelize the onion. Cut it julienne style and place it in a frying pan with a dash of oil and a pinch of salt. Add a little brown sugar. Lower the heat, cover it and leave it to cook until it becomes caramelized.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing a little olive oil, a splash of vinegar, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Season the rocket leaves.
- Remove the pastries from the oven and spread the rocket leaves and a few basil leaves over the top of them. Add the caramelized onion. Finish the dish by laying the cured ham on top.